Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas and Crazies

I have tired of beginning posts with some variation of, "Hello." It is implied.

Today was Christmas, apparently. In my world, today was Sunday, meaning up at 5:30A.M. for work. I thought Christmas was in December. Not in Ohio, it would seem. It was in the upper 40s today. What is that?! ( I want an interobang on my keyboard, so bad.) It was also sunny and muddy. I love sunshine, usually. On the first sunny day in over a week, I had a migraine, of course. Is it pathetic that I delibriately slowed my usual working pace to spend an extra hour at work? Probably.

Never in my life have I celebrated Christmas. People look at me weird when they are told. When I was younger, people assumed it was my mother's choice; then, it was. I never felt deprived. Now, the first year I could have celebrated Christmas, I did not. I was not remotely interested. I did not celebrate Christmas. Nope, no desire whatsoever.

As odd as people used to find it that I did not celebrate Christmas, it is nothing compared to what they seem to think when I say that I do not want to celebrate Christmas. The idea seems to boggle their minds. Why people celebrate Christmas - most holidays, actually - boggles mine. I know the given reasons. The given reasons for Valentine's Day, Easter, May Day, Independence Day, and Christmas do not add up for me.  Maybe I am able to look more analytically at holidays having no emotional attachment to them.

Some have told me that one need not believe the underlying whatever to celebrate Christmas, just give and receive presents. That makes less sense to me than Christmas itself. Besides I do not like presents. They make me cringe. I never know how to react.

 I was originally going to outline why Christmas does not make any sense to me, but I've changed my mind. Instead, hear are some other things people do that make no sense to me.

Driving:
     Not Using Blinkers/Directionals: There seems to be some sort of phenomena in Ohio where people don't use their turn signals. It is not that hard! Just use them. Please.

     Ignoring Signs: Signs are posted for a reason. When a lane is designated "Turn Only" that doesn't mean, "Continue forward; almost cause an accident; blame the driver using turn signals and the correct lanes."

     "Lane Ending": For reasons I cannot begin to understand, there always seems to be one car that wants to continue in the lane  that is closing. Even when it is posted for over a mile. Then, of course, that car seems to think everyone else should just let them in when they are finally forced to move into open/continuing lanes. I do not like those people.

Lying:
     I don't really understand why people lie so much in the first place. Honesty is easier. Hiding the truth almost always either back fires or merely delays the inevitable. What completely baffles me, though, is when people keep lying when they know they've been caught. Just own up to it. At that point, redemption may be possible.
    For instance, when I was in year 12, I had a "private" relationship with someone for a month or so. By "private" I do mean "expected to by monogamous but not a publicly recognized couple." The other person chose to not me monogamous. Okay, fine. I'd been cheated on before and I wasn't exactly emotionally invested. There are two things about this that made no sense at all. One: The other person he chose to be involved with was my closest friend in school. We talked on a daily basis. Two: When we realized what was going on, we joined forces and confronted. Not to intimidatingly...at first. When one has incensed two females that are on the same side, the wise decision is not to keep lying. The dumb idea is to keep lying. The really, really stupid thing to do is keep changing one's story. If one must lie, stick to the same lie! When a hole is punched in one story, don't concoct another. This is where redemption is unattainable. <3 Peace!

There is whole list of more things that baffle me, but that looks good for the moment. I still need to read The Last of the Mohicans. Maybe I'll watch Doctor Who or CharlieIsSoCoolLike instead...

- Genni

P.S. What do people do that doesn't make sense to you?

1 comment:

  1. Hello my friend!

    What do people do that doesn't make sense to me? Game playing. Now that is not say that there are times that you must out fox the fox, or keep your enemies closer..but that is when you KNOW you have one...I guess when you approach life with an open and honest heart, you have a tendency to think others are the same. Unfortunately, I have learned otherwise. So, I have learned, even at 45, to be just a little more cautious..Wont play games, but will be smarter!

    ReplyDelete