Monday, December 12, 2011

Romance in Literature

Hello Internet-land!

Last night, I began re-reading "The Hunger Games." I read it in November, even took notes, but I decided to go through it again before I review it. The review should be up by the end of the week. Meanwhile, I still have one significant problem with the book: too much is about the relationships.

All told, about 8% of the book deals with relationships. That isn't too bad. Mostly, the problem that I have is that a portion of that 8% seems forced. It does not flow; it does not even make sense in the context.

Granted, I am not much for romance. Of the 200+ books on my shelves, four are romance novels. I do not like the notion of them in general. I have read many of Janet Evanovich's novels; she uses the same plot line for each one: woman meets man - often in an embarrassing way; woman fixates on man; woman is reveled to have some sort of problem - money, job, in over her head with housing self-improvements, etc.; man offers help, which woman refuses; man "helps" any way; they fall in love - and into bed; the woman jumps to a conclusion about something,  decides the relationship is doomed; woman leaves relationship; woman decides she loves the man enough to handle the consequences of the relationship and returns; happily-ever-after heavily implied.

The general message is that women need saving. If a woman does not have a man, she is missing some critical part of her happiness. Some message from a female author. I do not buy into that message. Having a significant other can enhance happiness; I do believe that. But happiness does not come with a partner. It has to be there in the first place.

I am not anti-relationship/romance. I believe in love. I also believe that love is a variety of things. There is "love" in the sense of something that enhances one's life and happiness. "Love" is something that means one will fight for something or someone. "Love" indicates a desire to include something or someone in the rest of one's life. Another meaning of "love" is a desire to procreate with someone. To me, romantic love requires all of the above listed. Most romance novels and movies shame this concept, showcasing instead the necessity of  a man for a woman to be truly happy. Except "Pride in Prejudice." Well, except for Jane Austin novels. Those are simply smashing.

I know why authors include superfulous romances in their stories: romance sells to females, especially those of teen and middle ages. When done in tiny doses, or well written, these can enhance the story line.  Nothing is innately wrong with incorporating romance, even a "love triangle" in a story. It just needs to fit.

-Genni

No comments:

Post a Comment