Friday, January 13, 2012

The Great White North

I had very simple plans for today. None have worked. I was supposed to go to work. Gerry, my car, is apparently sick. Since I work about 20 miles from where I am, I had no way to get there. Other than that, I wanted to go see Beauty and the Beast in theatres today. With no car and the nearest theatre 9-ish miles away, that isn't happening either.

I did, however, locate and visit the local library. I now have three active library cards. Oh yes. It isn't far, about one mile. I did walk, obviously. I like to walk. Walking in the snow, not so much.

I love snow. I like winter. I am all for multiple feet of snow. What I am not for is the, to me, weird way people here in Ohio handle winter.

I woke up to the second significant snow of the year...about an inch. That hardly qualifies. By all accounts of natives, this has been a really funky winter. Temperatures were in the high 40s last week! Anyhow, point being: there is snow on the ground. Unfortunately, there is also wind. Of all weather conditions, I despise wind. There is nothing pleasant about a swift breeze kicking snow in one's face.

For anyone not familiar with snow, there are different types. There is light, fluffy, pretty snow that is absolutely worthless when it comes to snowballs. There is perfect snowball snow, heavier, less fluffy. There is wet snow that makes life a little miserable. Nothing can be done with it; it is barely more frozen than slush. Then there is snow like what is on the ground here right now: hard, dry, tiny flakes. This is the snow that stings like hail. Combine with wind and no one is happy.

Taking to another topic, I think there are two types of places that get serious winters: ones that are good at handling it and ones that always seem to be surprised. I lived in Oregon for almost eighteen years. I lived in Alaska for six months when I was two, not that I remember it. Ohio, people don't seem to understand snow. I was here last winter and now a little bit this year, people seem to be completely off-guard. I don't get it.

I don't like to drive in the snow, partly because there are too many variables, even on perfect roads. This is compounded by the fact that how most people drive in Ohio freaks me out on good roads. In ice, well, I just try to avoid that.

It doesn't makes sense that somewhere like Ohio is like this. In Arizona or Eugene, Oregon, even Portland, Oregon, it might make sense. Snow isn't super common. Ohio usually gets multiple feet. It should not be unexpected. Oregon is definitely better at winter.

For the record, I know people who refuse to go to Portland and Eugene if there is snow. Those Oregonians may have driving in the rain down pat, but snow...not even close.

I love the library!

J'taime,

-Genni

No comments:

Post a Comment