Monday, August 27, 2012

Matched

I haven't written in a good while. Apologies on that. I have read, lots and lots, rest assured. I have probably read 30 plus books since I last posted on this blog, some re-reads but most are new.

However, I did just finish "Matched" by Ally Condie. KRW, a good friend of mine recommended it over a year ago. I meant to read it sooner, but my "to read" list is ridiculous. Since my roomie showed up with it Sunday, I picked it up and read it as a book to kick off the new semester.

It was an interesting read, a little fluffy, and while I didn't dislike the protagonist and company, I didn't particularly care about them. Characters were rather believable. The plot was pretty decent, not something I had read previously.

Possibly the aspect I found most interesting was the concept that even  when acting with intention to counter the government, the protagonist was still playing "their" game. I hadn't considered that, as a plot point or as a way of looking at our reality - though reality is uncertain. It is impossible to know to what extent our thoughts and actions are influenced by government, family, friends, enemies. We are all parts of an enormous machine, believing we act on our own, but everything we do effects others and, conversely, our live are influenced by an incalculable number of other individuals.

I was not overwhelmed by the romance of the book. Despite the obvious importance of the relationships in the book, it seemed to be as much about craving a creative outlet, self-discovery, the hunger that cannot be bred out, only buried. Ms. Condie's words telling of the protagonist's love for several individuals, many family, and her love for the two boys, all existed simultaneously, but none were the same "love." Love is not equal among all people or all situations. That was an important point. It also segued nicely into the priorities we have: choosing one item or person over another does not demonstrate apathy toward the lower-ranked, only a preference to the higher.

I quite enjoyed the book. It's a pretty good read part fluff and part fodder for introspection should one so desire. Go forth and read!

No comments:

Post a Comment